Wednesday, November 08, 2006

the thing about family

It has been a long time since my last post. Good news; my group did really well on our advertising project. The last of the Royal Four has been released in South Africa and has already been read and placed on the bookshelf and all I have to work on now is a research essay that I’m not sure how long it should be and all that wada wada wada.   

 

So my mom-in-law went in to have her knees replaced yesterday. That was hectic. The thing about being part of two families is that you have not had years of training on how to ‘be’ with your partners family. You aren’t really aware of all the little nuances and the little thing that make all the difference. Now with my biological family I know exactly when to be quite and what exactly to do at all stages.

With my husband’s wonderful family I often feel like a fish out of water. Am I doing the right thing? And I expect that this feeling will not go away with time. I think that for the rest of my life I will always be wondering ‘Am I doing the wrong thing? What if they think I’m fake?”

 

The best bit of this entire ordeal is that I know them quite well by now and they don’t have it in them. They are really nice. Complicated to me sometimes but really nice. They don’t really care about airs and graces and well my ovaries are named air and grace. So all in all a trying time will be had by me across my lifetime. But if you think about it, it’s all my own fault really. After all Tim’s family is wonderful; accepting just as you are. Not that my family isn’t mind you. I do think at the end of the day it might just be me.

 

And I suppose that is the first thing to acceptance. Accept that you are in fact slightly neurotic. After all my own family is also entirely uncomplicated and I always feel that everything has to be entirely perfect.

 

God bless my wonderful husband who has grace to put up me.

Okay I’ll stop rambling now.

 

So Tim’s mom is okay and we’re getting her a really nice bunch of flowers that I’m happy with.

 

 

No comments: