Tuesday, February 26, 2008

black bangles

I've never been one for bangles. I never had any and when I did, they got annoying and thy broke too quickly and I suppose there was a whole host of reasons, I never wore bangles.

 

But then there was a change in lifestyle that came with a reluctance to wear my expensive sentimental jewellery to clubs and other dodgy places. Not wearing anything at all was not an option as I had become very attached to having something on my wrist and it feels weird to not wear anything on it.

 

My cheap jewellery of choice became bangles. Black bangles in particular. There was no sinister reason or anything behind it. It was actually more practical than anything.

Black goes with everything and I tend to wear a lot of black. So black bangles made sense.

 

Then came along the inevitable.

I had the bangles and I wanted to wear them. So I did. Not all the time but whenever I felt like I did. Loads of bangles jingling on my arm. I kinda liked it. It was fun and nice and I continued on this way constantly searching for the perfect black bangles.

 

And then it happened.

 

'THE QUESTION'.

The question took me entirely by surprise. I am aware that there are people who find the devil in every nook and cranny but I was completely unprepared when it came at me.

"Is there any meaning behind wearing black bangles?"

 

Talk about being sucker punched. All the air that was floating around my system helping me maintain that daily act of breathing flew out in a gush. A feather could have knocked me over. And the person who almost always had something to say was left entirely speechless.

 

As I flustered an answer my opponent already had the left hook ready and waiting.

"Just cos that some African tribes wear certain bangles and thing as something to do with their ancestors" or something to that effect. The blood rushing to my head did not allow for accurate memory retention.

 

So down I went. My only option was to flee. Fast and furious I went out in the wide open room.

Reeling.

 

Is it really a big deal? Black bangles? I'm not really sure. I'll tell you on thing for certain. I bought then from a Pakistani guy at Gen City in Phoenix. They're cheap and three of them broke already.

But I like them.

 

I do understand that some people are hell bent (excuse the pun) on finding darkness in every little nook and cranny but well really, there's a limit. I remember being younger and told that I should not wear cross pendants cos Satanists pray over them to make every one who wears them, hate God. This was a bit difficult to swallow as my choice of pendant in nearly all of my jewellery is (didn't see this one coming?) a cross. So then that begs the question must I know never wear crosses my whole life. This coupled with everyone's aversion to black can be disconcerting sometimes.

 

I'm not gonna hid under a rock. Watching what I wear, the colours, they textures or even where it comes from. At the end of the day, it's just stuff and who controls your life and your destiny? Is it your stuff or your maker?

Black bangles, crosses, UV sticks. At the end of the day, it's all synthetic material that does nothing to maintain the delicate balance of the universe.
 
 
It's actually what's on the side that counts.  


No comments: