Monday, March 30, 2009

think

Every South African blog has at some point or another discussed
something that relates to race and the various never ending issues
that surround it. I've done a few posts from what I'd like to think of
as a unique perspective.

On Friday I found something new to be annoyed about and something that
has changed part of my perspective on the whole race deal. The lovely
Indian car guard helped the white lady with a teenage daughter and the
white guy who had a stack of beer. He left me to my devices and only
came to stand at my car for the customary car guard tip which I'm sure
he felt he was entitled to. After all I'm Indian and supposed to help
a brother out. Never mind that I had to do everything myself


I have no idea where some people picked up the idea that certain race
groups are some how better than all the races on the planet and it
really irks me when I see some Indian people turn around stick out
their backsides out. A good friend often says that we teach people how
to treat us. If we call the annoying friend that only ever sends
PLEASE CALL ME's, you encourage that behaviour. No one to blame but
yourself.

You stick your backside out and you're gonna get swatted.


Perhaps you think that I'm the last who should speak after all I
regularly make an effort to ensure that life is easier for one of
them. But the situation in itself irks me. Who is in the right?
Perhaps the whole group of people out there will tell you that they're
doing what they think is right.

I recall reading a article by some guy from India who thanked
colonialism and the British for the life that he has. After all
without the British, he argues that he never would have had the fine
education that he got or every other supposedly "good" thing in his
life. But one must question if the British in fact added value to any
one's life. It's an interesting arguments and while I do think it's
important to give credit where credit is due, I think we must also
remember that hundreds of people lived their lives just fine before
the Britain came along.

Have we lost some sense of ourselves along the way? When we are soo
eager to bend over backwards to please someone based soley on the
colour of their skin?

No comments: